Sunday, March 1, 2009

You Only Blog Thrice


Hi there, and welcome to my third life as a blogger.

When I started writing online in 1997, as far as I knew there was no such thing as a "blogger," and in fact, the word "blog" wouldn't even be coined for another two years. I remember being interviewed on live radio in 1998 and trying vainly to explain just what this website of mine was, and why I was doing it in the first place, to an incredulous Paul Finebaum. I can't really blame Paul for being nonplussed; that long ago we didn't even have the language to describe blogging. Today, it's a part of our daily lives.

My original site, "Will's World," ran from 1997 into 2001 before tapering off more-or-less completely. Three years seems to be the standard burnout time for a blogger, and I hit that point before I read the word "blog" for the first time myself--naturally right at the moment when blogs came out from behind the techie curtain to reach a general audience. Timing is everything, and mine was pretty awful.

In 2004, I got back in the saddle again at the kind request of Steve Green, who invited me to guest on his madly-popular VodkaPundit blog, and I've been happily butting in on his blog ever since. I want to state right up front here that this stepping out on my own in no way indicates any kind of falling-out with Steve. I can't begin to thank him enough for the last five years of access and trust and friendship, and we're certainly not on the outs. This is just a good time for me to hang my own banner out again, and for Steve to press on in his budding career as a multi-media superstar.

Oh, and Steve--those bets to see who will be the first to drink with Hitchens and P.J. O'Rourke? So still on.

Thanks are also due to Stephanie Sherling for doing the new blog's artwork. The design is still very much in progress (thus the Blogger template), and that's my fault, not hers. There will be more to come on that front.

So, welcome, and let's get started, shall we?

3 comments:

  1. Will, are you not counting your Auburn football blog? Will that continue or get folded in here?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, From The Bleachers will continue as before. It'll remain a seperate blog, thanks for asking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Will,

    It's long overdue and I'm as happy to see WillCollier.com as anybody -- maybe more so. And what a great launch today!

    ReplyDelete