Sunday, May 16, 2010

Back In Beige


We're home again after a too-brief vacation in the Dominican Republic. No, I didn't tell any of you about it beforehand; I'm not big on putting a "ROB MY HOUSE" sign online while I'm away. But it was a very nice trip, thanks for asking.

Thanks also to Steve Green and Ed Driscoll for passing along my stream-of-consciousness reports from the Ft. Lauderdale airport on Thursday evening. My wife and I had just settled into our seats for a long layover when the fire alarm went off and the entire terminal was evacuated. Here's what the scene just outside the terminal doors looked like:



Not very exciting, is it? Apparently the alarm was caused by an electrical fire in an air conditioner; the TSA guys said after the fact that the already-cleared passengers in the terminal should have been allowed to stay inside. They also said that alarms go off in that terminal "a lot," which probably accounts for the general nonchalance about the whole incident that you can see in the video.

It took about an hour and a half to re-screen everybody for our flight; the airline held the jet on the ground until all the passengers could make it through to the gate. This annoyed the dead ringer for Fenster in The Usual Suspects who was sitting next to me, but I personally appreciated it. I sure would have wanted them to hold the takeoff if I were the one still waiting in line at Security.

So, that's what I've been up to lately. More blogging to follow, thanks for checking in after the long silence here.

No comments:

Post a Comment