Friday, April 10, 2009

Deja Vu


While chuckling over this bit of idiocy linked by the Blogfaddah, I kept wondering to myself, "Where have I read this before?" Something in the vein of "there's been an election, and you lost, so shut up," but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Then it hit me; the rant was straight out of a 26-year-old comic book, Dave Sim's Cerebus, in which the titular character, a misanthropic would-be world conquerer, mused in his journal,

Why don´t they just do what they´re told? They wanted someone to make decisions, so they have an election, okay? Okay. It´s like five guys out in the woods. And three of them say "so-and-so will be leader". Okay? Okay. Now you´ve settled it. When so-and-so says "As leader, I think we should go this way" you don´t stop and argue. That´s why you made him leader. Cerebus thinks that after you vote, you should shut up and do as you´re told or go to jail. Period. Otherwise nothing gets done.

I'm reasonably sure Sim intended that bit as a parody of the fascist mentality. The clown who wrote the hysterical column linked above, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment